Can I claim my PCR and RAT test costs?
- Was the purchase made in the 2021-2022 financial year (the test was purchased after July 1, 2021)?
- Was the test used in order to do your job or run your business?
- Are you an Australian individual or small business?
If you answered yes to all of the above, then the costs of your tests are eligible to be deducted on tax.
How much will I get back?
- Individuals: the amount you will get back is dependent on your tax rate. For example, if you are taxed at 32.5%, you will receive an approximate refund of $6.50 for a $20 RAT test purchase.
- Small businesses: the total cost of the test is exempt from fringe benefit tax (FBT)
What do I need to do?
When it comes to claiming the tests, you will need to follow the same process as any other work-related expense.
You will need to keep a record of purchase of any tests that you intend to claim. If you have not kept a receipt of past purchases, you can use a detailed record that shows where, when and how much you spent on the test.